Emotional return for Petra Kvitova after knife attack

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Czech Republic’s Kvitova celebrates her win over USA’s Boserup on Day One of the French Open in Paris yesterday. Pic/Getty ImagesCzech Republic's Kvitova celebrates her win over USA's Boserup on Day One of the French Open in Paris yesterday. Pic/Getty Images

Petra Kvitova said yesterday's first-round victory at the French Open felt like winning twice as the Czech star made an emotional return from a harrowing knife attack at her home in December. The two-time Wimbledon champion swept aside American Julia Boserup 6-3, 6-2 in her first match since suffering career-threatening injuries to her left playing hand when she tackled an intruder at her home in the eastern Czech town of Prostejov.

"I came here as a winner already," said Kvitova, who returned to action at Roland Garros after almost six months out.

"When we were thinking about playing here I told my coaches I wanted to come and win my first match. That was a dream. The motivation I had today was amazing. This match was special to me. I won for the second time, if I can say that," she added.

Kvitova was left fighting to save her career after the attack, admitting earlier in the week that her hand was "still not 100 per cent".

"The first point was amazing. I surprised myself with the forehand winner straightaway. It felt weird but great, as well. I know that I was going to do everything," she said.



Download the new mid-day android app to get updates on all the latest and trending stories on the go https://goo.gl/8Xlcvr

Related Post

Next
Previous